Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Girl In The Picture . . .


At my soul sister’s apartment there is a small round frame. It’s beige and shows a young woman who I thought I never met. She’s sitting in a folding chair at what looked like a BBQ. She was definitely at a party but was the only one in the photo. The sunny sky seemed to match perfectly with her disposition. Closer look revealed she resembled me. 

She had long brown curly hair that fell along her bronze shoulders. Her mouth was turned up into a bright smile that radiated out of the photo. Her skin flawless and sun kissed, her teeth blindingly white and her body healthy and vibrant. Her cheeks were rosy and her eyes light.



She embodied happiness and youth and silliness. Her arms up in the air doing something only the people surrounding her know the meaning of. Her thick eyebrows arched perfectly from laughter.

I noticed the toned legs of this girl I had never seen before and I saw her little butterfly tattoo. My little butterfly tattoo. 

That had been me, ten years prior. I didn’t even recognize myself because I had always seen myself as less. Less pretty. Less stylish. Less happy. Less young.  

That me had no idea how beautiful she really was.

This me does.





Melissa Sue Vieira


Melissa wears many hats.  
Some are super colorful and some are dark, just like her stories.  

She is a mother, friend, writer, survivor, warrior, yogi, listener, talker 
and a lover of all things art.


No comments:

Post a Comment